Facebook. (Yeah, I know.)
What does Facebook have to do with homeschooling, other than being an excuse to waste time that should be spent with my children?
I’m glad you asked.
Because just this year, the world of social media has brought some amazing people into my life. I’d like to tell you about them (and their blogs) and how they’ve helped me.
- Minnemom at Travels With Children has been a friend of mine for a long time, so I would have been happy to reconnect through Facebook even if she didn’t have a fun, helpful blog. But she does! So you should check it out. It’s about travel, obviously, but what really drew me in at first was the story of how she and her husband met. It’s one of the sweetest love stories you’ll ever hear. And I have a soft spot in my heart for anyone from North Dakota. ❤
- Dawn at 5 Kids and a Dog started the ABC’s of Homeschooling blog theme. It’s given me good reason to think about why we home school and what I enjoy about this lifestyle; and it’s been a fun way to get to know some other home schooling moms. Mary always leaves an encouraging comment on the ABC posts, too. She’s a positive lady, to be sure!
- Tricia at Hodgepodge writes about homemaking, home cooking, and home schooling. She’s a fan of Sunbutter since a peanut allergy is part of their reality. (Me too!) I’m learning lots from her current blog focus on Helpful Habits. Oh, how our family needs to implement some of her ideas!
- Sheila Wray Gregoire deserves a mention simply because the name of her blog always makes me chuckle. To Love, Honor, and Vacuum has a wide variety of content, but I especially appreciate her marriage encouragement. (So does my husband!)
- Today I printed an amazing pack of preschool activities for my daughter. She loved them, and has already chosen four more packs that she wants me to print. I’m so thankful to Carisa at 1+1+1=1 for putting these learning tools together and making them available for FREE! And her blog is full of great photos of her adorable children… an added bonus.
- Our family friend, Jake, is serving as a missionary in Uganda. His blog covers everything from African geography, to culture, to fashion, to fuel prices, to what God is up to in Africa. We pray for Jake and his family often.
And what does all of this have to do with my blog about giving things away?
I’m glad you asked.
It has to do with generosity. All these people have shared their time, wisdom, and encouragement with me. Life is nicer now that they’re part of it. I’m so grateful to know them!
How has your life been affected by social media? I’d love to hear about your favorite encouraging people to know… please leave a link!