I’m all for having a regular, early bedtime. But sometimes…staying up past dark can make for amazing memories! Here are some of our favorite nighttime outings:
- Lunar eclipse –Brr! was it cold! But we stood at the top of a windy hill and watched as the moon turned red. Wow! You can really see the moon’s mountains and valleys when the eclipse is complete.
- Woodcocks and peeper frogs – Our local Audubon Center hosted a Vernal Evening walk, featuring the mating rituals of these animals. The male woodcock puts on quite a show, and those tiny peeper frogs make a mighty big noise! Love is certainly in the air in the spring!
- Fireflies – These little guys are part of our favorite bedtime ritual. We love to chase around those twinkling lights, or just sit and enjoy the show. Then, pj’s and sweet dreams!
- The annual Perseid meteor shower – We live in a city with lots of light pollution. But if we plan it right, we can see the Perseids in North Dakota with Grandpa. (What could be better?) We slather on the bug spray, grab a blanket, and head out to an open field for some awesome views. If you’ve never seen the night sky in North Dakota, you should put it on your bucket list. It’s a dizzying, awe-inspiring sight.
- Space shuttle sightings – Did you know that the space shuttle can be seen without a telescope? Check out the NASA websiteto find the next sighting for your city. But hurry! The space shuttle is currently on its last mission. (Missed it? NASA’s site is still worth a look. It’s an educator’s dream!)
- Camping –Nighttime in a tent is a fascinating time to be still and listen. Unless what you hear sounds big and bearlike… in that case, it’s time to stop being still. Frogs, though… frogs are good.
How does your family enjoy the wonder of nighttime? I’d love to add your new ideas to my list!