Why would you want to teach your children to be frugal?
Here are some reasons I try to live frugally:
- Living within our means makes it possible for me to stay home with my children.
- It’s kind of exciting to get something for free or nearly free.
- It’s even more exciting to use scraps and leftovers to make soup, quiche, or a casserole. It feels like making a feast out of nothing.
- It makes life easier, because we’re not trying to keep up with every fad that appears.
But there’s only one thing I truly want my children to learn in this area:
5. Being frugal makes it possible to be more generous. It means our home can be free of excess stuff — so we can invite people in. It means we recognize it when we have enough clothes — so we can give to someone in need. It means we’re not running around trying to buy more and better — so we can be home creating gifts for others.
I think that’s one GREAT reason to teach frugal living, don’t you?
This post is part of a series at The Momma Knows. Follow the link to read other ‘ABC’s of Home Schooling’ posts.