In honor of the summer Olympics, I offer you this list of sporty inventions that never would have happened if everyone was wimpy/non-athletic/chicken as I am:
- Balance Beam. Less than 4 inches wide? 4 feet off the ground? I don’t think so.
- Diving Board. Or, scarier still, the Platform. I can’t even watch.
- Hurdles. Occasionally I jump. Rarely do I run. Never, never would I combine the two.
And to the list of Olympic equipment, we can add:
- Hang gliders
- Bungee cords
- Rockets, Space Shuttles, and all things NASA
And in a unique, non-sporty category:
- Alcoholic beverages in camouflage. Long Island “iced tea”, for example. If I want iced tea, I’ll drink iced tea. There’s no non-alcoholic version of wine, so if I want wine, I’ll drink that. Preferably Malbec. But let’s not confuse the two.
What about you? What inventions would never be if YOU were in charge? I’d love to know!